Friday, January 20, 2012

To Be Called

Oh, I so believe in this idea. Being "called" that is. But I find myself back in the familiar place of wondering just what that means for me. I seem to understand, or believe it when others say that they've been tapped on the shoulder by Him--but it never seems quite so clear in my own life. I've been sifting through some recent events (okay, more like observations of other's events) in my own life, and I'm left wondering a couple of things . . .

1. Does a person get more than one major calling?
2. How does a person discern the difference between a personal desire/interest and a calling? Or, are they the same thing?
3. Can a person be unaware of a calling? Or does He, realizing that He is being ignored in favor of some less worthy pursuit, realize that, and reach down and shake one by her collar, waggling finger and all?

I have my version of answers to all of these questions, but they still rise to the surface of my dailiness, asking to be attended to. It is all interesting to me when I have felt more content lately than I have in a long while, but all around me, important women in my life are busy adopting and birthing children, saving the world, changing and advancing in their careers, and I am, well, grading more papers and attending to my little corner of home, and those who need me at school. The big question for me then, is, "Did I miss a memo somewhere?" You know, one that told me that because I don't have a "next" on my horizon that I should be looking to offer my gifts in some new way like so many of the lovely ladies around me are doing? My wise big sis offers that maybe this is my time of rest--and that may be. But why is my time not cycling with my sister-friend's time?

Maybe perhaps, I'm being called to be still. That would be a new "next." For me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment